Image Randomizers

Image Randomizers :: Randomizers :: News and Announcements :: Randomizer hit limits - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
frufru
Administrator

[Avatar]

pm

{name}
Randomizer hit limits (14th Apr 09 at 6:47pm UTC)
Please see this post

All right, I've decided that we finally need to do something about the "service unavailables" and move towards getting that new server that's needed.

Effective April 18th 2009 a maximum of 25,000 hits per month will be available for each free randomizer. If that is exceeded, the randomizer will become unavailable until either the start of the next month, or until it is upgraded.
At this time, the planned rate is $2 per each additional 25,000 hits per randomizer, per month (subject to change as time goes on). Discounts will be offered if applied for more than 12 months, and/or to more than 3 randomizers. [Payment details TBA]

Right now you can view the number of hits your randomizers have gotten since April 13th, 2009 in the "Your Randomizers" area (the "hits this month" column) to have an idea of how your randomizers are doing in relation to these limits. This number is what will be used to determine whether or not the limits have been exceeded, and it will be reset on the 1st of each month starting May.

Hopefully that'll make things run more smoothly {Smile}

-Jason

Randomizer Service Live Stats:
Marc

Rawr

pm

{name}
Re: Coming soon: Randomizer hit limits (15th Apr 09 at 12:40am UTC)
I'd just like to point something out before people start to complain...Frufru's offering you this service free of charge, and puts a lot of work into it. Restrictions are not something you or him want placed on the service, but unfortunately they're necessary to keep the service running. These restrictions are being placed because he wants to continue providing a service for all you members, not because he wants to get some extra cash.

Just some food for thought. {Smile}
frufru
Administrator

[Avatar]

pm

{name}
Re: Coming soon: Randomizer hit limits (15th Apr 09 at 1:47pm UTC)
Thanks Marc {Smile}

Hmm... looking at some of the hits data from the last 2 days I think it might need some review. Firstly, the initial 25000 limit is probably going to have to be increased significantly because at the current rate several average users will approach that monthly limit (the people I expect will be most affected by this change are those who are using the randomizers very heavily, i.e. as banners of active forums/web sites).

As well, I'm thinking of enforcing the limit daily or weekly (as in setting a daily or weekly limit that is somewhat equivalent to the monthly limit) and having a counter that resets in that time period. This way it will avoid a possible problem where we have very heavy usage at the first half of the month and it only reduces near the end when people discover they are past their limits. Also it might make the limits a bit harder to get around....

frufru
Administrator

[Avatar]

pm

{name}
Re: Coming soon: Randomizer hit limits (16th Apr 09 at 2:47pm UTC)
Change of plans, effective immediately

As you may have noticed, my host has lightened up my limit a bit on request. Unfortunately we're all going to be in a bit of trouble if we exceed it again. Therefore I am forced to take immediate action.

Instead of a monthly limit, I am instead going to set up a Daily limit (which is actually the # of hits in the last 24 hours, so it won't be different for different timezones - but I will refer to it as "daily"). This daily limit will be 1500 hits for free randomizers (which in the end actually gives you more hits than originally planned). You can view how many you are using as an additional column "Hits in last 24 hours" in your randomizer area. The "Monthly hits" column will remain, just FYI.

Pricing will be $2 for each additional 1000 daily hits, which will cover 1 month. Again, discounts will be offered if you apply for more than 12 months, for more hits (increments of 1000 only), or for more than 3 randomizers. As well, exceptions may be considered on an individual basis if you only need additional hits for certain days (i.e. special activity which will cause a temporary spike in hits).

If you would like to make a payment, or ask about the exceptions, please either send me a PM on this forum, on ProBoards support, or on vForums support with the subject [randomizer hits]. If none of those are an option you may email mr.frufru [at] gmail. Include:

-the randomizer name (s)
-the randomizer ID (s) (which can be found in the first column in your randomizer area)
-a contact email
-the # of hits you would like to add
-the time period

If the information is valid I will respond with a PayPal payment request within 24 hours. (Unfortunately PayPal is the only payment method accepted at the moment. Other methods may be looked into in the future).

Thanks.
-Jason

EDIT: Revised limit to 1500

mastaofbitches

[Avatar]

Always give an honest opinion. Even if it annoys somebody else.

pm

{name}
Re: Randomizer hit limits (28th Oct 10 at 9:10pm UTC)
You say that the daily limit is 2000 hits for free randomizers, but according to my randomizers page it's actually 1500.
frufru
Administrator

[Avatar]

pm

{name}
Re: Randomizer hit limits (29th Oct 10 at 2:24am UTC)

You say that the daily limit is 2000 hits for free randomizers, but according to my randomizers page it's actually 1500.

Hi,

I revised it to 1500 as of today because at the previous limit of 2000, it had started using too much network resources according to my host (keep in mind we are still on shared hosting), and they temporarily suspended the application (hence the downtime) until I took action to reduce the load. Sorry about any inconveniences caused, but I gotta do what's needed to keep the service running. You're still welcome to use the paid features if you need more hits. Those rates are remaining the same for the time being.

mastaofbitches

[Avatar]

Always give an honest opinion. Even if it annoys somebody else.

pm

{name}
Re: Randomizer hit limits (29th Oct 10 at 10:24am UTC)
Sorry if it seems I was complaining, but I was only pointing it out because the information in your post was wrong.
frufru
Administrator

[Avatar]

pm

{name}
Re: Randomizer hit limits (30th Oct 10 at 1:42am UTC)

Sorry if it seems I was complaining, but I was only pointing it out because the information in your post was wrong.

No worries... in fact, thanks. Not many people point out my mistakes so some things end up staying unfixed for quite some time. And I felt that I need to add an explanation for this anyway. Feel free to post if you see anything else that's in error {Smile} (but please create a new thread in the appropriate spot if it's not directly related to the hit limits)

Printable View